Shopping for new skills and credentials at the University Learning Store
At the University Learning Store, you may take courses individually or complete an entire series of courses to earn a certification. For example, if you wish to earn a certification in business communications, you would need to complete a series of courses in active listening, email communication, and phone communication. Each course you complete earns you a micro-credential. Together, these micro-credentials add up to the certification in business communications.
University Learning Store credentials are organized into three departments:
Career-advancement skills include topics such as leadership, public speaking, management, and negotiation.
Power skills include competencies such as communication, teamwork and collaboration, critical thinking, problem solving, and more.
Technical skills include industry-specific, and in some cases, job-specific skills in information technology, business, agriculture, health care, sustainability, and more.
Enrolling in a course
- View the Course Catalog and choose a skills course or certification that interests you.
- Once you have made your selection, click the “Enroll Now” button. You will be directed to Canvas, the online learning platform on which you will take your courses and assessments.
- Create an account. If you already have a Canvas account, click “Enroll.”
- On the financial transaction page, create a PayPal account and enter your credit card information.
- Back on Canvas, click “Pay.” The course will be added to your student dashboard, and you will be directed to the course home page.
Taking a course
Here are some general tips for taking courses at the University Learning Store.
- Preview the course content to see what you already know and what you need to learn.
- Study and review at your own pace. If you are already proficient in a skill area, you may skip the course content and go directly to the assessments.
- Take a practice assessment to test your understanding.
- When you feel ready, take the graded assessments. These come in two types. The first is an auto-graded assessment—for example, a multiple-choice test. The second is an authentic assessment. This is an assessor-graded project designed to show that you can apply your knowledge in practice. For auto-graded assessments, you will have unlimited attempts to pass. For authentic assessments, you will have one attempt to pass. The mastery-level requirement for passing is 80 percent.
- Upon passing the assessments, you will earn a micro-credential that will appear in your student profile on Canvas. Upon passing all of the assessments in a skills track, you will earn a certification.
- Download your electronic credential and share it with potential employers on your LinkedIn page, your personal website, etc.
- Canvas will suggest next steps, such as the next course to take.
We have answers. Call 1-855-290-7115 or email ULS@uwex.edu.